Prev: Re: [OT] A variety of terminology/history questions Next: Re: Why we fight (there was an old B&W movie by that name IIRC)

Re: [OT] A variety of terminology/history questions

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 14:15:49 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [OT] A variety of terminology/history questions

--- Brian Bilderback <bbilderback@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >1) USMC (or US military in general): What ranks are
> accorded the title
> >"sir"? This seems like an odd question except that

US Army: Officers only.  Warrent officers are entitled
to it, but usually are adressed as "Chief".

> >2) Cavalry soldiers are called "troopers". Cavalry
> forms themselves into
> >"troops". What organizational level is a troop
> equivalent to
> >(Platoon/Company/Battalion)?  Does "Squadron" enter
> into the picture or
> >is that uniquely a UK/Canada armoured
> organizational element? Where does
> >it fit? (Platoon/Company/Battalion)?
>
> I believe that US Cav,, at least Air Cav, still uses
> the Squadron
> designation. YMMV.

US Army:

Troop is company.  Squadron is batallion.  All cavalry
regiments use this breakdown, even those which are
really infantry or armored units (ie--1st Cav Div's
maneuver batallions which are allegedly cavalry but
organized and equipped as either armor or mech
infantry).

John