Prev: Re: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale Next: FT-Missiles

Re: heavy metal !!!!!

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 11:24:05 +0100 (MET)
Subject: Re: heavy metal !!!!!

Beth.Fulton@csiro.au schrieb:
> >BTW: what would you use for poison on a metal-eating,
> >acid-breathing organism?
>
> a) Oxygen
> b) Radiation?? Thinking more of the effect of EM-like
> pulse on the rest of their working (but bit out of my depth there, so

> radiation itself may not be exactly what I'm after)

Most terran poisons do not use such brute-force approaches as
corrosion/acids or radiation. They work by disrupting critical
components of the target organism, e.g.by clotting blood, disrupting
neurotransmitters, paralyzing muscles etc.
You can PSB just about anything as a poison for your Oitjuan.

> >As far as I can tell, there is no reason why a
> >creature with an exoskeleton can't have lungs.

There are several ways in which an exoskeletal animal could have lungs.

If you want a totally solid shell, you could have a two-chambered lung
divided by a movable wall. Move the wall, and one lung exhales, while
the other inhales and vice versa.

Or you could have a shell of plates with flexibly linked edges. Think
of a square box (without lid or bottom). By moving the edges, you can
fold it down to completely flat or extend it to its full volume. Works
for most polygonal cross-sections, - ecept the Oitjuans' triangular one
:-(.

The other question is how to get "air" to the various parts of the
body.

> Then it becomes a problem of growing tubules to the right
> spots to get the "respiratory" material around the body.

One possibility. The other one is to transpport it as part of the
general circulatory system (i.e.in the "Blood")

> Endoskeletal armour may be the most viable alternative in the long
run.

Probably true.

> >However, if the Oijuan do have lungs, and a
> > cardiovascular system, they would probably pop.
>
> Not if their lungs are actually fluid filled. Which is an
> option in a heavy atmosphere enviro anyway to increase efficiency and
give
> extra strength. The main reason many deep sea ones do is due to gas
bladders
> etc.

Certainly depends on the athmospheric pressure you postulate. The 2-4
athmospheres mentioned earlier are not that outlandish, actually - like
diving 10-30 m. Most Terran organisms could adapt quite happily to air
at that pressure, I suspect.

Greetings

Prev: Re: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale Next: FT-Missiles