Prev: Re: [OT] Martian Miniature Next: Re: Why we fight (there was an old B&W movie by that name IIRC)

Re: Why we fight (there was an old B&W movie by that name IIRC)

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 19:04:19 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Why we fight (there was an old B&W movie by that name IIRC)

--- Richard and Emily Bell <rlbell@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

> Soldiers fight because that is what their training
> tells them to do.  They will continue to fight until
> the results of applying their training apparently
> fail.

As a side note, has anyone he read Men Against Fire?
The point is made very cogently that men fight because
of the team effect.

> If they cannot run away and are not given time to
> think, they will keep applying their training until
> they are dead.

Maybe it's just because I do more than load and fire
in a mechanistic sequence, but I do think in the
simulated firefights I've been in.  Of course,
everyone since the Civil War has been doing more than
"What are you thinking about."	Thinking "Where's
something I can hide behind while I shoot this guy" is
good.  Thinking "What's the fastest way out of here?"
is bad.

> Esprit de corps and regimental history (plus a good
> dose of in-your-face noncoms) get them
> to the fight and blind panic will keep them there,
> but only so long as they
> do not realise that following orders is not likely
> to keep them alive.

Eh?  What universe is this in?	Following good orders
is the ONLY thing that keeps you alive in a firefight.
 Units that fall apart get wiped out--casualties are
always highest in the pursuit of a broken enemy.

John

Prev: Re: [OT] Martian Miniature Next: Re: Why we fight (there was an old B&W movie by that name IIRC)