Prev: Re: [FT] Needle fleet now Cthulhu :) Next: [OT] Martian Miniature

Re: Inventions

From: David Brewer <david@b...>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 22:15:02 +0000
Subject: Re: Inventions

Brian Bilderback wrote:

> KH.Ranitzsch Wrote:
>
> >Today's culture, science and
> >technology is a product of many people in many place and times.
Claims to
> >singular greatness in this respect are usually pretty silly.
>
> I believe one person (could have been C.S. Lewis) said that the people
so
> revered for modern advancements were "Midgets standing on the
shoulders of
> giants."

I think Newton reputably said something like: "If I have seen
further, it is because I am standing on the shoulders of giants."

Someone once said of Crick and Watson "If they cast a long shadow,
it is because it was so late in the day." which is much more like
it for a slap in the face.

--
David Brewer

"It is foolishness and endless trouble to cast a stone at every

Prev: Re: [FT] Needle fleet now Cthulhu :) Next: [OT] Martian Miniature