Prev: Re: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale Next: Re: [OT] What mailing list is this again?

RE: [SG]The Nanite Revolution

From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@d...>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 12:10:30 -0500
Subject: RE: [SG]The Nanite Revolution

The real problem for doing such a thing with nanites is the computing
capapcity of the nanites.

Even with quantum computers (single atoms used to store bits), the
nanites
would have limited capacity for computing and storage of instructions.

To do something as complicated as building power armor, they would have
either be released in stages (each type preforming a specific task) or
be
directed from outside (coordinating the millions of individual nanites).

Also all of the raw materials (at least elements, even if your nanites
can
asseble molecules). I would expect finding the fuel to power the
powerarmor
would be difficult. Even if you can fuse hydrogen at cool tempratures,
you
would still need a large amount of power to start the process.

And the last drawback would be time. How long would it take a couple
tubes
of nanites (solar powered, I assume, so that no energy input is
required) to
assemble, molecule by molecule, a set of powerarmor? Weeks at the
fastest,
months or years more likely.

On the other hand, nanites would be good for making slabs of armor (even
sandwiched, molecule thin layered, armor). And would be extreemly useful
for
refining ores (100% pure plutonium).

They would also make extreemly nasty boobytraps (programmed to
disassemble
molecules of everything except other nanites of the same type once
exposed
to light).

-----
Brian Bell