Prev: Re: Inventions Next: Re: Bugs and flight was Re: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale

Re: Inventions

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 09:42:09 +0100 (MET)
Subject: Re: Inventions

Jaime Tiampo schrieb:
> Donald Hosford wrote:
> >
> > Now I must "weigh" in...according to this page, the
> > chinese didn't invent the magnetic compass...they invented the
"South
> > Pointing Chariot".	They also state that nowhere does the
> > chinese documentation ever discribe a "magnetic" compass.

???? The "Introduction" chapter of that website states:
"...astronomy was another field of Chinese excellence, and the magnetic
compass was known as well..."

> > (Really cool!  Check it out!)

The whole site is pretty cool for nifty devices.
http://www.geocities.com/~rrice2/

> Actually I'll have to dissagree here. Magnetic compasses
> were reported in china in 300 BC aprox. At least according to the
books
> that I have.

Not entirely sure about the date, but certainly quite a number of
centuries well before 1000 AD. There are quite a number of books on
Chinese technical history, most notably those by Joseph Needham.

Greetings

Prev: Re: Inventions Next: Re: Bugs and flight was Re: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale