Prev: Re: Unit pride was RE: Questions regarding NAC ground units Next: 敒›佛嵔䜠뛃牨敤

佛嵔䜠뛃牨敤

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 08:13:18 +0100
Subject: 佛嵔䜠뛃牨敤

> Contrast this incident with Gohrde, 16 September 1813, where
> a force of Hanoverians in British "Redcoats" were against
> the Saxons. The Saxon general had just about convinced his
> uneasy men that they weren't all British Regulars but
> Hanoverians, when the force marching up the central
> hill under heavy fire unfurled the King's colours of the 2nd
> Battalion, 73rd Regiment of Foot.

Pardon me being pedantic: There must be a slight confusion here. The
fight
at the Göhrde was between French troops and an allied force including
Hanoverians and the 73rd foot (as well as a Congreve rocket troop). The
Osprey MAA 192 on Prussian Reserve troops has a quite detailed account
and
OOB. No Saxons in sight,

> It was the only British infantry on the field, but the
> Saxon general lost both his credibility, and the battle, at
> that instant. Alas, unlike Rials, his words are lost to posterity.

As the general was French "Merde" seems pretty likely.
Anyway, being outnumbered 4-1 certainly didn't help the French

Greetings

Prev: Re: Unit pride was RE: Questions regarding NAC ground units Next: 敒›佛嵔䜠뛃牨敤