Prev: RE: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale Next: Re: Another political question re: Tuffleverse

RE: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale

From: "Iain Davidson" <iain@a...>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 23:10:44 -0000
Subject: RE: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale

<<I find it Ironic that most other groups gets pretty fair
representation>>

Brian (and others),  I cannot agree with this as the Universe really
feels
like it is written from a Western perspective. It doesn't really cater
for
the potential super-powers of the future such as India, and I wouldn't
be in
the least surprised if the Islamic World became THE dominant force on
Earth,
purely down to numbers if nothing else.  There are a great many
scientists,
doctors, artists, etc in the Islamic and Asian worlds who are just as
good
as western ones, and yet their countries are not represented in as good
light as the USA.

Since China takes over the ex-USSR to a large extent, why on earth would
it
revert to Nova Moskya when they move to space. Now that really doesn't
make
sense to me....

At the end of the day, there are a certain number of unalterable facts
(I'm
going to regret writing that ;-)

1. The game is written by a Brit, so why not have a Brit-centred
universe,
just for a change. We aren't that bad....
2. It is just one of many thousands of possible futures.
3. You are perfectly at liberty to write your own universe, that's even
in
the manuals (unlike a rather larger UK games manufacturer...)
4. It is only a game.
5. It is just an excuse to get some ships together on a table top and
blow
the hell out of your opponent whilst they are trying to do the same back
you. Or subtle variations of that scenario. The background is just
something
to hang that on.
6. It is still only a game, honestly.
7. I'm on a losing wicket, so I'll give up here.

BTW, between 75% and 100% of this is tongue in cheek.

Cheers,
   Iain.