Prev: Re: Nobility.... or not.... Next: Re: Armalligator was: Email

Re: [OT]Campaign Contributions

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@a...>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 21:45:45 +1100
Subject: Re: [OT]Campaign Contributions

From: "Roger Books" <books@jumpspace.net>

> I would bet my last dollar that you don't get elected in OZ without
> having significant financial backing, just like it is here.

Depends what you mean by "significant financial backing".

People have won elections here in the last decade for the Federal House
of
Reps with less than
$5,000 spent on the campaign. That's Aus, not US, call it $3000 US at
the
time.
Of course they mostly spend more, but $100,000 US would be way above
average.

"As for campaign contributions, and all the corruption and perversion of
democracy that the pursuit of them creates in the U.S., they don't exist
in
Australia; a whole national election costs less to stage than a
California
primary. You don't need to be rich or a plutocrat's pet to run for
office
here."

source: http://www.time.com/time/sampler/article/0,8599,53911,00.html

So I think you'd lose.

*Assuming it got more than 1.4% of the vote in the previous election.

Prev: Re: Nobility.... or not.... Next: Re: Armalligator was: Email