Prev: Re: Gettysburg Trivia Next: Re: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale

Re: Wet Navy in the future was Re: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 09:08:23 +0000
Subject: Re: Wet Navy in the future was Re: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale

On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 09:35:36PM -0500, Laserlight wrote:
>Does a nuke in space generate a kill by blast pressure?  No
>atmosphere, no blast, right?

Correct. Producing a massive overpressure, rather than a bunch of sharp
fast-moving fragments, is a severely non-trivial thing to do in vacuo.

I certainly shan't argue that it's not possible to design spaceships
which are also submarines, particularly if the main drive is something
that it's sane to use underwater (i.e. not a fusion torch). I do think
that the mass-cost of doing so would be significantly higher than that
for full streamlining (and we know how many ships do _that_)...

Roger

Prev: Re: Gettysburg Trivia Next: Re: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale