Prev: Re: Points, was Re: grav Next: RE: Walkers, was RE: grav now Daleks!

[OT] Gill

From: devans@u...
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 17:25:12 -0600
Subject: [OT] Gill

Now, you have to understand, up until the joke that confused so many of
us
colonials, I don't recall ever hearing of gill as a volume. I have heard
lists of obscure measures, but just draw blank on that.

Funny coincidence: at a 'thrift store', I saw a bar shot dispenser
(insert
fifth of liquor upside down, push glass up against dispenser, get a
measured shot).

Now, I don't have a home bar; in fact, probably consume alcohol on the
drink per quarter schedule at best, but I noticed a plastic plate
indicating 'RAF Mindenhall Suffolk, England'. My strained memory was
that
Mindenhall was US 8th's HQ during WWII, but even if not, I was tempted
by a
supposed RAF artifact.

The clincher was the indication, on the lower clear part, that it
measured
'1/6 Gill'. ;->=

Back to your on-topic discussions, already in progress.

Prev: Re: Points, was Re: grav Next: RE: Walkers, was RE: grav now Daleks!