Prev: IAVRs Next: Re: [SG] Firing & actions

Re: IAVRs

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 21:53:53 -0500
Subject: Re: IAVRs

> [Tomb] Yep. Just as you could issue every other piece of wazoo kit
> every soldier. And some people have done that. Sometime you want an
> interesting example of "Light Infantry" and kit-carrying stupidity,
> read the book "Bravo Two Zero" by Andy McNabb. This bunch of gung ho
> SAS dudes went into Iraq carrying everything INCLUDING the kitchen
> sink. It didn't help....

The "shiny kit syndrome", yes.	Note that 250 or so Iraqis would
disagree with you, though--oh, maybe not *all* the kit helped.

> its troops. Spreading the IAVRs around means if I lose 1 soldier, I
> only lose a small portion of my FP, but on the contrary, it
gaurantees
> that for each soldier lost, I lose some of my FP. If I had a more
> specialized force, yes I lose more of my FP by losing one of the key
> guys, but if I lose someone else, I don't lose _any_ of my AT FP.
> Really, its a choice.

Depends on how much training each weapon takes, both to use (Point at
target.  Press "Acquire" trigger.  Wait for tone.  Press "Fire"
trigger) and to maintain ("Insert third CD for "weekly maintenance
tasklist").  If all your training is in one guy, you'd better not lose
him, either to combat or a noncombat accident, disease, or transfer.

Prev: IAVRs Next: Re: [SG] Firing & actions