Prev: Re: [SG] Firing & actions Next: Re: 25mm Support Platforms

Re: CanAm Designs

From: Jaime Tiampo <fugu@s...>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 13:06:58 -0800
Subject: Re: CanAm Designs

Laserlight wrote:

>  I'm thinking of the following DD, CL, and CH designs for FT:CanAm II
> to be held at GZGECC :
>
>  DD Mass 30, NPV 97
> MD 8, FTL
> Hull 9 (3/2/2/2)
> 1 FCS
> 1B1
> 1 B3 1 arc (FP)
>
> CL Mass 50 NPV 164
> MD6, FTL
> Hull 18 (5/5/4/4)
> 2 FCS
> 5 B2	(all AP/FP/F)
>
>  CH Mass 88 NPV 293
> MD4, FTL
> Hull 35 (8/8/8/7)
> 3 FCS
> 3 B1
> 2 B2 (all AP/FP/F)
> 4 B3 (all FP)
>
>   Each player will take 2 squadrons, each squadron being 4 DD or 2 CL
> or 1 CH.  There will be no teams--it's every man for himself and may
> the best win (and claim all the honor and glory for his country,
> whatever it may be).
>    I've deliberately limited the number of arcs because I want to
> emphasize maneuver; and I've deliberately left off PDS, armor, etc.
>   Comment, suggestion, playtest results?  I'd be particularly
> interested to see how new players feel about battles using only these
> ships.

If this is the CanAm game I think it's a little over simplistic. For
introductory games sure, but I think for this kind of level it would be
better for a more open design system.

As for an "every man for himself" setup the smart side will team up and
then go after each other at the end when they've eliminated the badguys.

The ships are a little basic. Half the fun the the multitude of weapons
that you might encounter. For the offset fire arcs it makes for sides to
set up along table edges so that when they turn into the enemy they'll
have their arcs set to them. I think the offset weapons should be put on
Forward arc. Let them manuever to get the shot.

Prev: Re: [SG] Firing & actions Next: Re: 25mm Support Platforms