Prev: Re: more grav Next: Re: CanAm Designs

Re: [SG] Firing & actions

From: adrian.johnson@s...
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 03:22:35 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG] Firing & actions

Hi Brian,

<snip>

>The slight whiff of ripe Limberger drifted across the table, however...

yeah, no kidding...

>The rules don't say anything like "No figure may fire more than once
per
>activation."... Should they be amended to read that?
>
>The juggling of weapons that would go on in the above case seems just a
>bit odd...

Two comments, based on first thoughts and *not* having my SG rulebook
handy.

First, a turn represents a relatively long period of time - 5 mins or
so.
If it is enough time for a rifleman to lay down some fire with his
rifle,
then gather himself and his kit, and sprint off 100m while dodging,
moving
from cover to cover, etc., and get to a new position, then it should be
enough time for him to shoot his rifle, then pull out a single shot
rocket
and shoot it.

Having said that, I wouldn't allow it if I was refereeing a game.  One
figure, one shot per activation, fullstop.  Also, I wouldn't let a squad
have five IAVRs, but that's a matter of taste.	Lots of IAVRs in one-off
games leads to silliness like volleyfiring them.  Sure a squad might be
issued that many, but not likely for a single firefight.  And they're
supposed to be for shooting at vehicles, anyway.  A "real" squad leader
might seriously hesitate to order *all* his anti-armour capability
dumped
on a single enemy rifle squad - but a player in a one-off session
doesn't
have the same sort of restraint.  Unless they "roleplay", as it were.

Besides, if I remember correctly, you CAN'T do that according to the
rules,
anyway.  I just thought of this now, but I think it says that IAVRs can
be
fired as against point targets (one IAVR = one action, just like a
GMS/P)
OR they can be used as a support weapon to support other weapons, like a
SAW.  You can either fire one at a time, or more if *used to support
rifles* as part of the squad's regular fire.  This produces the
situation,
agreeably quite silly, where in a squad of six guys, you could have ONE
fire his rifle and the other five fire an IAVR.  But according to the
rules, IIRC, you *must* have at least one "regular weapon" firing to be
able to load up on the support weapons.

Look at this another way, I believe that you are NOT allowed to, in the
case of the squad you mentioned, have the rifles all fire at one target
with one action, and then the squad's TWO support weapons fire at a
different target with the other action.  You could fire ONE of the
support
weapons at a different target with a separate action.  Just like you
can't
fire two GMS/P's from a squad in a single action, if the squad had two
GMS/P's attached, even if they were shooting at the same target.

Be nicer to have my book handy, but I'm pretty sure that's the case with
support weapons.

Prev: Re: more grav Next: Re: CanAm Designs