Prev: RE: To Grav or not to Grav? Next: RE: To Grav or not to Grav?

Re: To Grav or not to Grav?

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 04:28:06 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: To Grav or not to Grav?

--- Popeyesays@aol.com wrote:

> Grav vehicles are a total quandry. I play them that
> their grav fields inhibit > flight over 100 meters
or so high. Why not use a > liftijng body technology
to > allow them to "fly" a little higher or faster
using > vectored thrust or  > turbines? This is a can
of worms to look at as a > military doctrine matter,
> don't you think?

Of course, which is what makes it worth looking at.
I'm going to say that the needs of full armor
protection and the requirement to be controllable at
the 2-3' altitude require slower speeds overall.
YMMV.  The problem with vectored thrust or turbines is
that it reintroduces a requirement for fuel (reaction
mass, actually) and that's what we're trying to avoid
by going to grav in the first place.

John

Prev: RE: To Grav or not to Grav? Next: RE: To Grav or not to Grav?