Prev: HUMINT in the 22nd Century Next: Speaking of tests. . .

RE: To Grav or not to Grav?

From: Michael Brown <mwbrown@v...>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 18:22:19 -0800
Subject: RE: To Grav or not to Grav?

I had the same train of thought a while back as I took a good hard look
at the
Traveller universe.  The largest constraint on operations is food
distribution
and crew rest.	Dispersion during movement and concentration for action
are the
rule of the day.  All operations take on the aspects of  Deep Battle,
and
non-orbital fire support can become almost meaningless.  If I can move
100 kph
in VTOL mode and have decent communications the operational envelope
becomes so
huge that only key points (strategic objectives) are defended.	All
other
points can and will be bypassed.  Take a good look at Attack helicopter
operations and then give them the ability to hold ground.

Michael Brown