Prev: Re: WotW(Was E,C,Last Word) Next: RE: Relative Power of Nations

Re: OT-Stars and planets and such

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 19:43:43 -0500
Subject: Re: OT-Stars and planets and such

> The thought I`ve had for a alien race run along these lines. A race
that
> evolved on a tidelocked planet close to a star would have some big
> advantages. A planet that close to a star would have a highly
energetic
> biosphere (more energy from the star

Depends on the star.  Alarish is about 1 AU from its M star and would
be tide locked to the star if it wasn't orbiting a gas giant, but it
gets only about the same insolation as Jupiter does.

If you have a planet which gets a lot more energy than Earth, it's
likely not to support life--or at least, not life which is going to be
competing with us over the same real estate.  And if we and they don't
want the same planet, we're not too likely to be fighting over it.

Prev: Re: WotW(Was E,C,Last Word) Next: RE: Relative Power of Nations