Prev: Re: Ghurkas Next: Re: [LST] Making a 'pedia entry Re: OK OK I Give! (Was Powers)

Re: [LST] Making a 'pedia entry Re: OK OK I Give! (Was Powers)

From: "Jerry Acord" <acord@i...>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 17:22:30 -0500
Subject: Re: [LST] Making a 'pedia entry Re: OK OK I Give! (Was Powers)

"Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Damn, back to the drawing board.  Thanks for the info.

...and...

> Again, bad news.  Thanks.  Anyone with any suggestions?

Not to get too far off topic, but one thing I forgot to point out is
that as
a rule of thumb, all nearby stars will be dwarfs (like the sun) and not
giants (like e.g. Betelgeuse).	If a nearby star of spectral type M were
giant, it would be quite bright in the night sky, and would probably
have
its own mythological name rather than only a catalog number to identify
it.
And we are talking about the local neighborhood here, right?

(Betelgeuse is a red supergiant, and as I recall is something like 200
parsecs away, and it's one of the brightest stars in the sky.)

-- Jerry Acord
   acord@imagiware.com

Prev: Re: Ghurkas Next: Re: [LST] Making a 'pedia entry Re: OK OK I Give! (Was Powers)