Prev: Re: Powers That Be Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] GZG announcement!

Re: Powers That Be

From: bbrush@u...
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 17:11:04 -0600
Subject: Re: Powers That Be

Well the British and several other sets of invaders have found out the
hard
way that trying to "conquer" Ireland is a losing proposition.  :-)

As far as my PSB for why the NIR hasn't been conquered by one of the big
super-powers goes, they are situated in a pocket between the NAC and the
ESU and neither of them want the other to have the systems.  To add to
the
mix they have close ties to the UN, and at least a passing relationship
with the Confederation of Celtic States and the Ghurkas.

When I last put some work into the NIR I was developing a two part
military
force.	There was the NIDF (Defense Force), and the NIEF (Expeditionary
force).  The NIEF was a mercenary force when necessary, or took part in
UN
actions as needed.  Minimal "force projection" capability, and certainly
nothing one of the major powers would take notice of.

I had a complete tech-base, socio-political background worked up,
including
idiosyncrasies that fit my mood.  Since I'm primarily a tread head I've
played very little FT with them, although I did a lot of design work.
Probably my favorite ship came out of that , the CL Fearless.  The
problem
being that in FT anything smaller than a BB has problems with going
"poof"
before it does anything useful.

One thing that's happening currently (IIRC) plays very nicely into my
"Independent Ireland" psuedo-history is that the Irish economy is
currently
one of the hottest in the world, having been bolstered by Intel opening
plant, and several other big companies moving offices there.

Bill