Prev: Re: Painting irridium vehicles Next: Re: DS2:Scratchbuilding a dropship

Re: GEVs: Engineering and Recovery

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 16:11:57 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: GEVs: Engineering and Recovery

--- Tomb <kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca> wrote:

> Towing: Big Grav or GEV hovercraft flatbed. Or
> auxilliary "gravity> effectuators" - grav modules
that reduce the> apparent mass of the thing
> you are towing so towing it behind a GEV _is_
> practical and so the> deceleration issue isn't as
big. Also note that in> this instance the
> towing GEV wants to have "over-rated" fan systems.

Here's how Traveller solved the issue of a grav
recovery vehicle.  They build a vehicle big enough to
carry a tank in it's rear bed.	And the bottom of the
bed is a pair of doors, which drop down.  The tank is
now in the grav envelope and can be easily manipulated
up, then the doors shut and it sits in the bed.

> If you used some sort of an induction fuse, you'd
> need one mother of a> system to get enough induction
feedback from a GEV a> foot or three off
> the ground, which should make the mines more easily
> detected and swept.

What mean you "induction"?  Are you speaking of
magnetic?  Magnetic fuzes are pretty sensitive
today--enough so that moving a mag fuzed mine 3 feet
is sufficient to detonate.

> but we're into paper-scissors-rock. My point is that
> most minefields can> be dealt with in one fashion or
another if you have> the right equipment
> and the time and the trained personel. Short
> yourself on any of the> three, and your breaching
operation becomes more...> "exciting!".

The term is "Polish".

> Perhaps two warring colonial governments only have
> cheap locally > produced mines with basic fusing
types. One > government secretly imports
> a mercenary unit with higher tech (grav/GEV) and
> suddenly can penetrate > a bunch of minefields that
would otherwise threaten > normal wheeled or
> tracked (locally produced) vehicles. There are a
> number of situations > where disparate technology
could make for an > interesting situation.

Yeah--although potentially pretty lopsided.  However,
my suggestion for the lower-tech force would be
side-attack mines--essentially IAVRs in a little cheap
plastic frame holding it up and with a $10 IR sensor
package to shoot it.

And that the regular French army > despises them.

And they are still the only ones that can actually
fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

John

Prev: Re: Painting irridium vehicles Next: Re: DS2:Scratchbuilding a dropship