Prev: Test Next: Re: GEV Physics and GEVs for engineers

Non-canon powers and the LE

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 02:01:52 -0500
Subject: Non-canon powers and the LE

Non-canon powers:
I find some of the non-canon powers very
persuasive in that they have more verisimilitude
than some of the canon powers (NAC jumps to
mind...). But, in order to integrate smoothly
with others, I opted (as did Laserlight) to work
on detailing canon powers and non-canon
powers small enough to fit inside the
Tuffleyverse and be below anyone's radar.

I've got a list somewhere with hundreds of NAC
ship names (I'm trying to compose a list that is
comprehensive). I've got a few for the other
powers. Eventually, this will appear as part of
my Jane's 2183 project... but that is slow in
coming due to other commitments.

I'm sort of half heartedly working on the NFR as
a small canon power (New French Republic)
because I have an idea of who might have
made it up (Basque seperatists, Quebecois,
disenfranchised FSE, French from the African
former French colonies, etc). No one seems to
have claimed it, and it made a good place to
try out some alternate FSE designs and has
some good historical battles to drag together
mercenaries, local NFR forces, the FSE and the
NAC. Again, this is a project in mid-phase.

I've worked up a fair part (except for finishing
haggling with Laserlight on some details) of an
AE sovereignty known as the Turing Republic. A
small, but interesting, addition to the almost-
chaos of the Alarishi Empire. Known primarily
for the quality of its research establishment and
its disproportionate computing resources. A
friend to the NI, a friend (though in a low-key
way since the Emperor finds this relation
distasteful) to the UN, a friend to the Japanese,
the NSL and the IAS. And to a number of other
AE sovereignties like the Planet of the Geeks
and New Los Angeles. But small enough to be
well below the radar of any of the major
powers, except when they're very bored (and in
the case of the NAC, have an ax to grind).

Someone asked about La Legion Etrange. It
played a heavy role in my "Grey Day To Die"
scenario at GZG-ECC-III. The 5ieme REA
(Regiment Etrange Aerospaciale) was deployed
as part of the human task force (and
unfortunate end the NSL and FSE forces came
to eventually explains how they split apart).

For a bit of fiction which covered the lead-up,
here's an old blast-from-the-past link:

http://fox.nstn.ca/~kaladorn/Gaming/AGreyDay.htm

For some pics:
http://www.warpfish.com/jhan/ft/gzgecc/gzgecc3/sat2-gallery.shtml
http://www.warpfish.com/jhan/ft/gzgecc/gzgecc3/sat3-gallery.shtml
http://www.warpfish.com/jhan/ft/gzgecc/gzgecc3/sun-gallery.shtml

Some quotes, at least one of which has attained a semi-
legendary status (Hi Ted....):
http://www.warpfish.com/jhan/ft/gzgecc/gzgecc3/quote-board.shtml

A few I'd like to specifically single out:
More from A Grey Day (yes, it was still going!):
Tom P: "Because it's honorable."
Joel: "I don't care. We're French."
"We woulda kept playing but the figures were
getting tired." - Ted Arlauskas, end of A Grey
Day scenario.
Definitely from A Grey Day:
David Raynes (on saturday): "I'll give you $1.50
to stop shooting at me."
<later> "$3.50"
<later> "$7.00"
<next day> "$12.00, that's my final offer."

The AAR has never fully been published.... perhaps
because there is another scenario to be run as a
followup sometime.  The result of Grey Day was the
humans handed the KV their heads (okay, they took a
goodly beating to do it). But the KV couldn't finish the
op after losing their armour and a lot of their
aerospace. And at the end, a Legion counterattack was
underway with newly revealed PA and infantry walkers
(okay, the KV sniper did get to within RB1 of the French
Major before firing, but he was also within RB1 of the
hidden group of vehicle techs.... who promptly bagged
his butt after he shot the Major).

Pity the KV plans involved sanitizing the planet for
forensic reasons..... "BOOM". Thus leaving the FSE and
the NSL suspicious of each other...

So, in short (or not, but it's me so that's nothing new),
I'd say the FSE Legion Etrange Colonial is well
represented in the GZGverse.

Tomb

Thomas Barclay
Instructor, CST 6304 (TCP/IP programming for the Internet)
kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca
http://fox.nstn.ca/~kaladorn/CST6304
http://stargrunt.ca/tb/CST6304

Prev: Test Next: Re: GEV Physics and GEVs for engineers