Prev: Re: PA carried DFFGs? Next: Re: PA carried DFFGs?

Re: [OT](maybe) Drives list...

From: Donald Hosford <Hosford.Donald@a...>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 02:54:27 -0400
Subject: Re: [OT](maybe) Drives list...

Phillip Atcliffe wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Oct 2001 13:42:18 -0400 Donald Hosford
> <Hosford.Donald@acd.net> wrote:
>
> > In the section for Battlestar Galactica (section 2.3 -- movies and
> television), it mentions that they use the "Maron drive". What source
> does this come from? Is it a "fan-created" thing? (various
> "fanficts".) Or is it official? (ie: mentioned somewhere in the
> shows/official books.) <
>
> Don't think anyone ever answered this, so...
>
> The Maron drive is UNofficial. The show never mentioned _anything_
> about how space travel worked in that universe, and even the
> astronomical terminology was mixed-up -- something that has been used
> by so-called experts to criticise the show in the past. It is possible
> to infer a few things about capabilities (like both ships and fighters
> had FTL drives and comms), but nothing was ever said specifically --
> probably deliberately. Which is just as well; the few times that
> something was mentioned, they messed it up!

On the terminology, I just assumed that their's is a different society.
So
they might use some terms differently.

> The Maron drive was, IIRC, mentioned in the episode novelisations (or
> possibly fan-produced technical material), but they are both
unreliable
> and inconsistent as a guide to what was seen on screen. For instance,
> the first book has the Galactica using some kind of jump drive, which
> doesn't fit in at all with the rest of the series. And then there's
> Adama's famous "lightspeed" line... <wince>

I remember the jump drive mentioned in the novelization.  I didn't think
it
fit either.

Still, the "Maron drive" as discribed does solve many of the travel
problems.  Like howcome they never mentioned anything about gates or
hyperjumps or anything....the whole time the ship's engines are running,
they are under FTL drive.  Maybe they could adjust the amount of the FTL
effect that was happening.

> Still, the drive list is interesting -- due for an update and some
> correction, but interesting.

It is an interesting list.  I hope they keep on updating it.