Prev: Re: [DS/FT]Christmas come early for you lot Next: Re: [DS/FT]Christmas come early for you lot

Re: Ogre ( was Depraved..).

From: "Adam Benedict Canning" <dahak@d...>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 14:38:48 +0100
Subject: Re: Ogre ( was Depraved..).

> Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 10:04:00 +1000
> From: aebrain@austarmetro.com.au
>
> > > Ogre for microarmor,
> > >
> > > Just to be clear, do you mean Ogre or Ogre Miniatures?
> >
> > Yes, I did.  Mean Ogre miniatures, that is.
>
> Regarding Ogre, there are the following variants, in
> chronological order of appearance:
>
> The Old Original "Ogre", sister-game "GEV" and supplement
> "Shockwave".
> These are boardgames, played on a normal hexed map using
> cardboard counters representing individual vehicles or
> infantry squads. Ogre takes place in a radioactive desert
> with many craters and piles of rubble on a small map, 1
> Cybertank vs Conventional force. GEV allows 2 conventional
> forces in a less completely wrecked environment, one still
> with towns, woods, streams etc. Shockwave adds new units,
> expanded rules, large nukes etc.

You missed The Ogre Book, which came out between GEV and Shockwave,
and which while mostly a compilation of magazine articles added more
ogre types, aircraft and naval units and conversions for Starship
Troopers and RIVETS.

> "Ogre Miniatures": basically the above played with
> miniatures, where 2" = 1 hex. There are a few minor rules
> changes to do with ramming, plus much stuff about things
> falling off cliffs and other things only found on a
> tabletop rather than a map, but basically the same game as
> Ogre + all expansions (which deal with different terrain
> types amongst other things), some new units thrown in such
> as obsolete tanks, militia etc.

If you are utterly crazed, there was Destroy all Ogres in Pyramid
which added Godzilla.

> "Ogre Deluxe": The rules from the Ogre boardgame, plus an
> identical map with larger hexes, plus miniatures enough to
> play the basic scenario. Essentially the miniatures replace
> the cardboard counters. There are many packs of
> reinforcement units (whole companies etc) available, plus
> individual minis. The rules don't deal with towns, cliffs,
> woods etc. only craters and rubble.
>
> To expand my earlier post, I'd recommend starting with Ogre
> Deluxe, then getting a reinforcement pack or two with new
> unit types not in the basic box, then moving to Ogre
> Miniatures (using the same minis). This provides an upgrade
> path from basic mechanics of moving and firing a few unit
> types on simplified terrain, expanding the unit types, then
> use of more terrain types and templates rather than hexes.

And of course soon we get the Call of Cthullu crossover...

300 pts and likes eating infantry.

Prev: Re: [DS/FT]Christmas come early for you lot Next: Re: [DS/FT]Christmas come early for you lot