Prev: Simpler space games for young uns Next: Re: Simpler space games for young uns

Re: Ogre ( was Depraved..).

From: aebrain@a...
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 10:04:00 +1000
Subject: Re: Ogre ( was Depraved..).

> > Ogre for microarmor,
> >
> > Just to be clear, do you mean Ogre or Ogre Miniatures?
>
> Yes, I did.  Mean Ogre miniatures, that is.

Regarding Ogre, there are the following variants, in chronological order
of appearance:

The Old Original "Ogre", sister-game "GEV" and supplement "Shockwave".
These are boardgames, played on a normal hexed map using cardboard
counters representing individual vehicles or infantry squads. Ogre takes
place in a radioactive desert with many craters and piles of rubble on a
small map, 1 Cybertank vs Conventional force. GEV allows 2 conventional
forces in a less completely wrecked environment, one still with towns,
woods, streams etc. Shockwave adds new units, expanded rules, large
nukes etc.

"Ogre Miniatures": basically the above played with miniatures, where 2"
= 1 hex. There are a few minor rules changes to do with ramming, plus
much stuff about things falling off cliffs and other things only found
on a tabletop rather than a map, but basically the same game as Ogre +
all expansions (which deal with different terrain types amongst other
things), some new units thrown in such as obsolete tanks, militia etc.

"Ogre Deluxe": The rules from the Ogre boardgame, plus an identical map
with larger hexes, plus miniatures enough to play the basic scenario.
Essentially the miniatures replace the cardboard counters. There are
many packs of reinforcement units (whole companies etc) available, plus
individual minis. The rules don't deal with towns, cliffs, woods etc.
only craters and rubble.

To expand my earlier post, I'd recommend starting with Ogre Deluxe, then
getting a reinforcement pack or two with new unit types not in the basic
box, then moving to Ogre Miniatures (using the same minis). This
provides an upgrade path from basic mechanics of moving and firing a few
unit types on simplified terrain, expanding the unit types, then use of
more terrain types and templates rather than hexes.

Prev: Simpler space games for young uns Next: Re: Simpler space games for young uns