Prev: RE: 1/300 Starport Terrain Next: RE: [DS, maybee SG] Odd questions

RE: DS2:Basing elements

From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@d...>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 07:27:09 -0400
Subject: RE: DS2:Basing elements

I base my infantry on pennies (1-3 per penny).
AFVs I do not base (I have some Geohex terrain that I have used to make
gullies where a based tank would not have room to travel down).

The downside to basing that I see would be:
1) Determining line of sight (LOS) on a hillside. If the base is large
enough, a miniature near a ridgeline could have LOS blocked by the base
(I
use a laser pointer to dertermine LOS).
2) Maneuvering in narrow terrain. Moving a based unit through a forest,
gully, urban or other close terrain may present some problems.

The upside to basing that I see would be:
1) Easier identification of vehicle. The vehicle ID and/or type could be
inscribed on the base.
2) Forced spacing could help prevent bunching up. Bunching up is deadly
if
the opponent has artillery.

---
Brian Bell