Prev: [Fwd: Agents of Gaming on sale] Next: Re FT-Forts

[ot] Cool anime fleet battles to get inspiriation from.

From: "Alister Crowe" <croweall@b...>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 17:11:19 +1100
Subject: [ot] Cool anime fleet battles to get inspiriation from.

Okay, this is a little off topic..

after watching the first two tapes of "Martian Successor Nadesico",
which
has just been released in australia, I saw that the  opening scene of
the
first episode was a rather cool major fleet battle. Essentially, a big
julip-shaped black thing from beyond jupiter (sounds 1920s sci-fi-ish, I
know, but its cool) headed towards the terran conlony and terraforming
projects on Mars. The Terran fleet is deployed to try and stop it. The
First
Fleet hold their fire until the enemy comes within targeting range. The
Julip reinforces itself by opening up and disgorging about a dozen
battleships and several thousand fighter craft. Both fleets fire their
main
weapons at the same time. The Terran beams bounce off the Jovian
distortion
fields, but the Jovian beams find their mark. About 1/2 second after the
beams cut off, about 90% of the terran fleet explodes. Anti-ship fire
also
bounces straight off the Joivan fightercrafts' distortion fields.
Admiral
Fukube decideds to eject the bridge unit of his command vessel
(something
like a BDN) and ram the Julip with the rest of the ship. He only succeds
in
changing its course, and the juilp smacks out the main charcter's
colony,
and hence the story starts.

Overall, its a very cool fleet battle, with lots of big anime-style
laser
fire and explosions.

I often think of anime when I am playing my games in full thrust, to
help
imagine what the ship is actually doing...

Can you guys think of any other animes that are good for drawing
inspiriation from?

You received this from Alister Crowe
ICQ: 77614478
AIM: Zeruelofmecha
"And lo, we the techs build the set and hang the lights and cue the
sound
and fly the drapes and build a wonderful show. And Lo, the actor shows
up,
misses his cue, falls on the set, stands out of the light, says the
wrong
line and trips into the new scrim. And we think 'what a wonderful show
except for the goddamn actor.'"
"An actor without techies is a naked person standing in the dark trying
emote. A techie without actors is a person with markedtable skills."
-Mark

Prev: [Fwd: Agents of Gaming on sale] Next: Re FT-Forts