Prev: Re: Email problems fixed (I hope...)! Next: Re: Field Manuals

Re: Tugs and Such

From: "Bif Smith" <bif@b...>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 01:11:53 +0100
Subject: Re: Tugs and Such

----- Original Message -----
From: Jaime Tiampo <fugu@spikyfishthing.com>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2001 12:40 AM

> Ryan M Gill wrote:
>
> > I've already read them.
>
> Good books :)
>
> On a thought about shipping up a gravity well, the GZG universe has
anti
> gravity. I'd think that ships equiped with drives would be able to
just
> lift cargo up with only expending electricity. On the way back
> planetword the unit might be able to recoop some of the lost energy
via
> the grav drive assuming it could act like an electric motor working as
> generator.
>
> Jaime

I read a good book (the story was okey, but interesting technically),
about
the earth having a spiders web of superstrong cable used as orbital
elevators, with the end tethered to a asteroid and the centrifugal force
kept it in tension. The cargo came up and down in bukets propelled by
liner
electric motors. Going up, the power came from solar panels, and going
down,
the braking power was sold planetside. Unfortunatly, the name of the
book
escapes me.

If you are talking about the FTL drive being expensive, and having a
jump
capable ship which non-FTL ships attach themselves to, this sounds just
like
the battletech universe, and the just called them jumpships.

Prev: Re: Email problems fixed (I hope...)! Next: Re: Field Manuals