Prev: Re: 25mm and the herresy of **mm Next: Re: Welcome to the list Alistair

Re: Vehicle cammo website/Babel Fish

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 07:33:54 +0200
Subject: Re: Vehicle cammo website/Babel Fish

> > Who got scarred off by the German, but could cope with a small fish
in
his
> > ear to understand it

> > > At any rate, Babel Fish translated the site well enough to read,
though
> > > some of the technical stuff didn't translate (Flecktarnanstrich,
for
one,
> > > though you can sort of guess what it is).

"Dot" "Camouflage" "Paint Job"
:-)

> >  > I smiled at, "The other armed services (air Force, Navy, navy
Corps)

The difficulty with the Marines is that in Geman "Marine" does mean Navy
(as
in Bundesmarine, Kriegsmarine). There is no proper German word for
"Marine
Soldiers" They are not part of the German military tradiiton, although
the
Kaiser had some "Marineinfanterie" or "Seesoldaten" (Sea Soldiers), even
mounted ones - horse marines. Anyway, this leads to the occasional
convoluted phrasing when German journalists discuss the Marines.

On second thought, which German phrase isn't convoluted ?

;-)

Prev: Re: 25mm and the herresy of **mm Next: Re: Welcome to the list Alistair