Prev: Re: Tugs and Such Next: Re: Tugs and Such

Re: [FT] Forts (battle report using same)

From: "Bif Smith" <bif@b...>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 00:51:07 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] Forts (battle report using same)

----- Original Message -----
From: Robertson, Brendan <Brendan.Robertson@dva.gov.au>
To: 'gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU' <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2001 5:15 AM

> > The fort had 200 PDS, and managed to reduce the number of
> > missiles
> > down from 399 to 285 (prety good die rolling). These remaining
missiles
> > reduced the forts armour to nill, but only managed to take out a row
and
> > half of the forts hull (we rolled for every missile, and he got some
awful
> > rolls, averaging out at about 3.2 DP per missile).
> That is really, really bad, considering average damage is 7.0 per MT
missile
> (you were using 2d6 damage per missile weren't you?) so should have
done
> ~2000 points of damage instead of the ~912 it did.

Yes, we used 2D6 dammage per missile, and I even tried rolling 50
missiles
dammage this morning (100 die) and came out with a average of only 3.6
per
missile. Must be the die I`m using <G>.

> I would personally count that battle as an ESU partial victory, as the
base
> is going to spend years getting the damage repaired, which will tie
more
> mobile defences to the system (which have to be drawn from elsewhere).
> In the same amount of time, the ESU will have replaced all their
losses at
> least three-fold and can try again later (they only have to succeed
once,
> after all).
>

> Neath Southern Skies -http://home.pacific.net.au/~southernskies/
> [Firestorm] Battletech PBeM GM
> [Dawn Patrol] World Cup 2001 - "Australia II"

It was only a single senario, and in the context of the victory
conditions,
the ESU player had to get in the system with some of his force intact
while
destroying the NAC mobile units to allow him time to destroy the
shipyards.
In the limited context of the senario, it was a NAC victory (although a
expensive one). In a larger context, it was more like a draw. The NPV
destroyed on each side favored the NAC player, especially when you
consider
the 6 SD`s lost by the ESU player. If the ESU player hadn`t sent the
SD`s
through, and lost them, I would have had no questions about saying the
ESU
came out ahead. Of course, both players were expecting the ESU corvettes
totally vaporise the fort (the NAC player especially, when he saw the
number
sent through in a single wave). Even I was expecting the fort to make a
very
expensive and spectacular explosion. I suppose it comes down to the luck
of
the dice <G>.

Prev: Re: Tugs and Such Next: Re: Tugs and Such