Prev: Re: 25mm and the herresy of **mm Next: Re: 25mm and the herresy of **mm

Re: Tugs and Such

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 18:00:30 -0400
Subject: Re: Tugs and Such

At 3:29 PM -0700 10/8/01, Don M wrote:
>By the way, does anyone else thing FTL engines are awfully cheap in the
>Tuffleyverse?
>
>And as a result, tugs are totally uneconomical.

To do what? Carry around Non FTL ships? Well, that's an additional
edge that you can add to the combat ship versus the mass carried in
the Non Front line ship. On an economic front, tugs do make sense for
non FTL applications for moving immobile objects around a system. Or
from a recovery standpoint, moving a disabled vessel that has had
more than critical damage to its TK drive system and can't move
itself to a depot to be repaired.

Strike boat tenders make sense from a standpoint that you could use
them to tend more craft than they could carry based on the fact that
the strike boats don't really need to dock all the time, just for
servicing and re-arming. You could theoretically deploy a tender and
several strike boats to a system via the tender and a few cargo
vessels. The cargo vessels then return for more stores while the PT
boats and their tender establish a zone of control and surveillance.

Likely smaller non FTL combatants like Patrol Craft, Cutters and
other small combatants are better off with no FTL drive based on size
and maneuverability constraints in system. Many of those small craft
could also be utility vessels like lighters, mine sweepers, "harbor"
tugs, floating dry docks, scows, barges, and support/auxiliary
landing craft and heavy shuttles.  Small combatants should not make
up the bulk of a navy's fleet unless the preponderance of their space
is very limited.

If you look through various US navy (and related) we sites one can
see the large number of yard craft and other support equipment that
has some hull number but one wouldn't expect to get from Port to port
on its own power. That's where the Float on Float off ships help. An
equivalent craft in FT would be some sort of cargo vessel that just
had docks/latches on its length for smaller craft to be fitted to for
transport.

 From looking at the Joint Modular Lighter System and Side Loading
Warping Tugs (sectional causeways with their own power) has me
wondering if there would be some means of a major military deploying
what amounts to a portable Beanstalk or not.

That or perhaps cargo containers that could be easily dropped on
their own using some sort of Aerobrake/heat shield and then would
land in a given LZ after a automatic controlled decent through the
atmosphere. Both capabilities for even non manned cargo containers
would have a profound effect on the ability to support an opposed
landing of a given planet.

- Ryan Montieth Gill		 ----------	      SW1025 H -
-   Internet Technologies  --  Data Center Manager (3N &10S)   -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 rmgill@mindspring.com -
-		   www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       -
- C&R-FFL -	 \	   Protect Freedom AND Security        -
-    NRA	  \	http://www.indefenseoffreedom.org/     -

Prev: Re: 25mm and the herresy of **mm Next: Re: 25mm and the herresy of **mm