Prev: re: [DS+FT] A scenery suggestion Next: Paymasters of 2183

RE: FT Forts

From: "Dean Gundberg" <Dean.Gundberg@n...>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 08:53:09 -0500
Subject: RE: FT Forts

> Topic 1
>
> The main problem as I see it with space stations/hollowed
> asteroids etc is that there's one weapon type where the major
> balancing factor is dependent on the target being mobile. Against
> an immobile target, the weapon is wayyy too powerful for its cost.
>
> The weapon is, of course, the missile - be it Salvo or MT. There
> is a similar problem with fighters, but not nearly to the same extent.
>
> I've played in far too many scenarios where I had to have at
> least some missile-equipped ships to take out base stations. Make
> the bases stronger to deal adequately with the missiles without
> being sitting ducks, and they become overly strong against
non-missiles.

I understand the desire for the 'attack the base station scenarios', but
think they really depend on the background universe and how it handles
sensors and jumping in.

In the B5 universe, ships can jump in right on top of you with little if
any
warning.  In many other universes though, there should be enough warning
that an attack fleet is on the way.  Then the defending fleet should go
out
to meet the attackers way before they reach missile range.  Make the
attacker choose between firing the missiles to save their own ships or
trying to save the missiles until they are in range of the station.

Dean Gundberg

Starship Combat News
The latest information on Space Games and Miniatures
http://www.star-ranger.com
dean@star-ranger.com

Prev: re: [DS+FT] A scenery suggestion Next: Paymasters of 2183