Prev: Re: Fwd: Re: Slippery Slope Next: Re: FT-Torpedo fighters

Re: FT-Torpedo fighters

From: "Bif Smith" <bif@b...>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 00:00:09 +0100
Subject: Re: FT-Torpedo fighters

----- Original Message -----
From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <s_schoon@pacbell.net>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2001 9:01 PM

> >  How about for torpedo fighters, giving them a
> >selection of missiles to chose from.
>
> I like the idea so far.

Thankyou, daft ideas ripped off from any sorce is my speciality <G>.

> >We could also have a light missile,
> >same range as above, but only 1 to 3 points of dammage (1D6 -3,
positive
> >number is a hit and the dammage done), but 2 missiles per fighter.
>
> It looks like it would balance fine (1-3 = miss, 4-6 = 1-3 damage
> respectively). Gives them more options for employment. Trades damage
> for flexibility.

I was thinking of these being best used for lighter opponents (DD`s and
the
like), being able to use twice against 2 targets instead of 1.

> >The long range fighter missiles would have a range of 9
> >MU, and a dammage same as a light missile (1 to 3). You would roll a
1D6 -3,
> >and any missiles that hit would have a chance to be intercepted by
PDS
> >before hitting.
>
> (1-3 = miss, 4-6 = 1-3 "hits" respectively; "hits" may be countered
> by PDS) At first glance, this might seem like a low chance to hit,
> however:
>
> Take a typical squadron of 6 fighters attacking a CH, which typically
> have about 2 PDS. Each missile does an average of 1 "hit," making 6
> hits for the squadron. The PDS will stop 1.6 hits. This means that an
> average fighter squadron will do 4.4 points on the CH without any
> chance of it damaging the fighters in return. Why would anyone NOT
> take this option!

Came from remembering the WDA/WotW discusion, where someone said "50%
increase in range equals x2 mass" (I THINK). I used 50% increase in
range
and 50% dammage, plus chance of PDS intercept. The idea for these
missiles
is to engauge outside the PDS of your target. Doesn`t help against ADFC
or
AFHAWK though <G>.

> >If you are going to say about differentiating between
> >different loadouts on the torpedo fighters, you can always use the
sistem
we
> >do, and have 1 model per fighter, with a number on said fighter, and
> >record sheet to tally the number of losses/missiles fired/missile
loadout

> I like the idea of different torpedo types. Just need to work out
balance.

> Schoon

As for balance, that`s what the great minds on this list is for <G><G>.

BIF

Prev: Re: Fwd: Re: Slippery Slope Next: Re: FT-Torpedo fighters