Prev: Kabul under attack Next: Re: Just heard the news

[OT] Hope: An update from Canada

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 18:04:39 -0400
Subject: [OT] Hope: An update from Canada

1) They are sealing/have sealed off the US
Canada border (highways and tunnels - though
the porousness of the border is still there I'm
sure - it's a darn big border).

2) Canada is taking incoming flights and
diverted flights, but has grounded all domestic
and international departures indefinitely. Only
military, rescue, and police traffic. I suspect
NORAD has asserted some control here.
Apparently all fighter jets in North America are
on alert.

3) Several larger harbours up here and all
Canadian military bases are on heightened alert.
Many urban centers, large buildings, and
national sites of importance are secured and/or
evacuated.

4) BC (and I'm sure other provinces) have
called in police and cancelled holidays.

5) Victims of the tragedies are being taken to
Toronto and Ottawa for some treatment.

6) This one is important:
There are some ways for Canadians to help:

Contact the Red Cross who are, I believe, taking
donations of money if not supplies.

Contact Canadian Blood Services who will
probably need blood badly - if only to replace
the quantity I suspect is being diverted to the
United States (especially New York). 1-888-2-
DONATE. Be patient with backlog on the
phones.

7) I understand that many folks are either in or
near the affected areas and feel strongly about
this. I understand also there are many different
views. I appeal to all for.... not calm.... but for
us to keep in mind that any attribution for the
cause of this horror is at present only
speculative (if you have proof, you should be
talking to the FBI/President). So let us keep our
rage, our anger, and our desire for justice or
revenge outside this list - though the feelings
are legitemate, it is not the forum. 10K+
people have probably lost their lives today - I
don't know about anyone else, but that is
probably more people than I've met in my
whole life. That blows my sense of scale. I can
barely concretize this horrid situation, and I
know I certainly can't do much about it except
refrain from spouting off about how much I'd
like to pull the villains toe nails out with pliers....
so please.... do what our esteemed list-admin
recommends. Shock, information/news,
sympathies.... I think everyone expects some of
this OT posting for a while. But leave the rest
for later days, and other forums.

Now I'm off to find a place to donate some
blood.... don't just be angry, get out and help if
you can.

Tomb.
Thomas Barclay
Instructor, CST 6304 (TCP/IP programming for the Internet)
kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca
http://fox.nstn.ca/~kaladorn/CST6304

Prev: Kabul under attack Next: Re: Just heard the news