Prev: RE:(OT) Public thank you Next: Re: Location of GZG-L Archives (was Re: TOE/Archive)

Re: FT Racing

From: Brian Burger <yh728@v...>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 12:58:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: FT Racing

The 'SV racing contructs' were a lot of fun; stock SV would have been
brutal but the mods Jaime made were well done, I think.

Once again I won handily... I'm at best a merely decent fleet commander
but I do seem to have a flair for racing. (modesty? nah...)

You've got to watch out for that extra thrust, though. The designs we
had
were capable of Thrust 21 (!) and this turned out to be a rather mixed
blessing - a fair bit of flailing, crashes and near-crashes happened in
the first half of the race as we got used to have far more maneuver
power
available than the human-stock racers we'd used before!

The temptation to goose it and go screaming around was huge, but had to
be
resisted if you wanted to live thru the turns! Although on the turn I
crossed the finish line I poured it on, because I was winning anyway -
Speed 35 as I finished the race!

One change I don't think Jaime mentioned is that our SV racers had, for
extra challenge, only human-style directional drives - main thrust out
the
rear only, just like human ships. Made maneuver & facing more
challenging,
esp. with only 3-arc beam nodes on the SV & our 3-arc shields!

Brian - yh728@victoria.tc.ca -
- http:/warbard.iwarp.com/games.html -

Prev: RE:(OT) Public thank you Next: Re: Location of GZG-L Archives (was Re: TOE/Archive)