Prev: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers? Next: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers?

Re: [DS] TDs

From: Tony Francis <tony.francis@k...>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 10:42:25 +0100
Subject: Re: [DS] TDs

Thomas Barclay wrote:
> 2) Stug-IV - wasn't this equipped with a 75 for
> its main weapon? That's not what I'd call exactly
> a low velocity weapon. Or am I confused?

Early StuGs were fitted with the low velocity 75mmL24 gun, although this
was still quite useful against the lighter British and French tanks in
1940. Later StuG-III and -IV mounted pretty much the same model 75mmL48
as the later Panzer IVs. This is essentially the same gun as the PaK40
towed anti-tank, so it's certainly not a low velocity weapon.

The StuH-42 model (very similar to the StuG) carried a 105mm howitzer
instead of the 75.

Tony

Tony Francis
Senior Software Engineer

Prev: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers? Next: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers?