Prev: Re: Fw: [FT] Vector racing! Next: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers?

RE: [FT] Vector racing!

From: Brian Burger <yh728@v...>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 14:25:19 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: [FT] Vector racing!

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Dean Gundberg wrote:

> > Last night we tried four-player FT racing, using vector movement on
> > roughly 6x6foot table. I haven't had that much fun playing anything
in a
> > while!
> <snip>
> > We had three ship designs; the lightly armed, fragile 'Greyhound'
with
> > Thrust 10; the mid-range T8 'Whippet' and the T6 'heavy' 'Bulldog' -
the
> > Bulldog still only had 2 B1s and a B2, and about 12 or 15 hull
points. My
> > Greyhould/Whippet pair lead for the whole race; the two or three
Bulldogs
> > basically gutted each other back in the pack.
>
> I ran a 'Galactic 500' FT Vector Racing game a GenCon a couple of
years ago,
> and you seem to have avoided most of the problems I had.
> 1.) Numbers - 8-12 Players in a game where you have to get though lots
of
> turns is too many, keep the number down.
> 2.) Weapons - Keep them light, You had B1's and maybe a B2.  Mine had
more
> including B3's and PTs, which is too much and ships were dying too
fast by
> weapons fire.

This is the problem I have with letting the SV onto the racecourse -
they
can divert energy to power thru turns, then shred people in the
straights
with full power to weapons.

Human racing ships are always going to be fragile - it takes 50% of your
mass to get T10; unless you run SDN-sized racers there just isn't much
room left for Hull & weapons. SV don't have that limit.

Brian - yh728@victoria.tc.ca -
- http://warbard.iwarp.com/games.html -