Prev: [FT] Brigade Ship Stats Next: Re: Fw: [FT] Vector racing!

Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers?

From: Richard and Emily Bell <rlbell@s...>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 16:31:35 -0400
Subject: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers?

Glenn M Wilson wrote:

> >More successful was the Archer, a Valentine chassis mounting a 17 pdr
> >facing to the rear (shoot and scoot), introduced in 1944. Initially a
> >interim measure the Archer was so successful it remained in service
> >until
> >the 1950s
> >

> Heard reference to it but never came across a picture/write up (never
> looked that hard to be honest.)  Now that does make me want to try one
in
> a game...  chasing one could be the worst thing to do?  No benefit in
> that design in DS2?  Might be interesting in SG2?

The archer was not as great as you might think, because it could not
fire
while moving, and it took some time to transit from moving to firing.
The
problem was that with the limited amount of space, the breechblock
recoiled
through the driver's position (will have to check this, but I am certain

Prev: [FT] Brigade Ship Stats Next: Re: Fw: [FT] Vector racing!