Prev: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers? Next: Brens? was Re: [OT] Clear Preds

Re: [DS] UK Tank Destroyers

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 11:46:16 -0400
Subject: Re: [DS] UK Tank Destroyers

At 9:08 PM +1000 9/6/01, Alan and Carmel Brain wrote:

>1. 2 pdr and later 6 pdr AT guns mounted portee on trucks. Used in the
>desert,
>under camouflage. Could re-locate easily between battles.

Portees!

>2. "Achilles" which is a US M-10 ( M-18? I forget) with the good 76mm
gun
>replaced by a vastly better 17 pdr firing APDS... best AT gun the
western
>allies had by a large margin.
>
>3. "Archer" which was an obsolete but reasonably reliable Valentine
tank
>with the turret ripped off and a fixed armoured 17 pdr mounted firing
>backwards -
>rather like the German Marder Tank Destroyers, but with overhead cover
>and the ability to very rapidly relocate after one shot. Used a lot in
>Normandy and after.

Actually they didn't have over head cover...

see http://www.magma.ca/~tracks/archer.htm

>Note that *all* of the above use a "lurk in ambush" mode of operation,
as
>did the
>German Marders and US TDs.

Best way for TD's to work.

- Ryan Montieth Gill		 ----------	      SW1025 H -
-   Internet Technologies  --  Data Center Manager (3N &10S)   -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 rmgill@mindspring.com -
-		   www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       -
- C&R-FFL -	 \ Toronto, Gun down some squeegee kids, - NRA -
- www.rawa.org	  \  Then you can host the Olympics too!       -

Prev: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers? Next: Brens? was Re: [OT] Clear Preds