Prev: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers? Next: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers?

Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers?

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 21:38:01 -0400
Subject: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers?

At 10:25 AM +0900 9/6/01, Edward Lipsett wrote:
>This is exactly the same problem with North Korea.
>The NK Navy is listed as having zillions of ships, and the vast
majority
>of them are tiny fishing boats and such fitted with missiles. In
theory,
>they could duke it ou with South Korean DDs and such, losing one or two
>fishing boats in return for a rather expensive destroyer... for obvious
>reasons, they have to use missiles and not guns.

Sort of. Modern Naval warfare is entirely different from land warfare
in a lot of respects. Granted if the SKs don't use any recon they'll
likely get smacked, but, small FACs with minimal defensive systems
and poor sensors will have to spend several units as sacrificial
lambs to get targeting data. The SK's likely would use a helo to
scout and locate the FAC's and provide their targeting data for their
missile before the NK's are able to launch there own. The battle
wouldn't be that of attrition, but of who got the first missile
launch in.

There's a book about this stuff that is bloody interesting. Fleet
Tactics and Coastal Combat by Capt Wayne P Hughes Jr.

- Ryan Montieth Gill		 ----------	      SW1025 H -
-   Internet Technologies  --  Data Center Manager (3N &10S)   -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 rmgill@mindspring.com -
-		   www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       -
- C&R-FFL -	 \ Toronto, Gun down some squeegee kids, - NRA -
- www.rawa.org	  \  Then you can host the Olympics too!       -

Prev: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers? Next: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers?