Prev: Re: [OT]Rogue Trooper Re: [DS] Genetically Enhanced Infantry Next: RE: [DS] Genetically Enhanced Infantry

Re: [DS] Genetically Enhanced Infantry

From: "Chris DeBoe" <LASERLIGHT@Q...>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 12:24:56 -0400
Subject: Re: [DS] Genetically Enhanced Infantry

> Damage:
> I could see 4 chits. They are tougher than normal humans, and a squad
can
> still function with less members than an unenhanced human squad. They
> probably still wear the best non-powered armor available.
>
> Threat Level Reduction:
> I could see this also for the same reasons. The squad knows that it
can do
> more than the equivilent normal squad. However, Power Armor (PA) also
know
> this and do not get this benifit. So I would suggest a different ploy.
Make
> some counters for a new level of confidence (Stupid? Unflapable?
> Unshakeable? Cocky?) that is the same a confident, but reduces to
confident
> at the first confidence loss (alternatly place 2 confident markers and
> remove the 1st at the first confidence loss).

I'd have to wonder how much of this is genetics and how much is
selection/training.  My friends and acquaintances who are SEALs and
Rangers
are pretty normal-looking guys.  Sure, they're in shape, but none of
them
are Schwarzenegger clones.  Where they differ from the general
population is
simply determination--they won't give up merely because the job's
impossible.

Of course, if they're also trained from childhood, the genetics may not
matter than much--they may all be veterans/elites simply because they've
had
15 years training before they're 18.  I would give them the same specs
as
veteran/elite infantry but no more.  Of course, that doesn't make them
*different* from normal infantry (as far as flavor goes), just better.

BTW, for an interesting but rarely mentioned combination of genetics and
training, you may want to read Courtship Rite by Donald Kingsbury.

Prev: Re: [OT]Rogue Trooper Re: [DS] Genetically Enhanced Infantry Next: RE: [DS] Genetically Enhanced Infantry