Prev: Re: [DS] Genetically Enhanced Infantry Next: Re: [DS] Genetically Enhanced Infantry

[DS2] GE Infantry

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 02:22:09 -0400
Subject: [DS2] GE Infantry

Pitching in my 0.02:

1) If PA is in fact a force multiplier, then GE PA
ought to be quite terrible. If they have faster-
than-human reflexes, toughness, and strength,
and the PA acts as a muscle and reflex amp,
they'll be even nastier than humans in PA. But
should cost up the wazoo.

2) Two sources not mentioned but which
probably match well with the type of figures you
have in mind are Universal Soldier and the
movie Soldier with Kurt Russell. The later
especially focuses on how much better these
troops could be - stronger, faster, more
decisive, better trained, less prone to hesitancy
or thoughts of fear or self-doubt, etc. Great in
an infantry battle, probably not so hot as higher
level strategic assets - because their thinking is
probably more predictable and therefore they
can probably be trapped more easily.

3) It is arguable whether DS granularity allows
one to capture the extra toughness. I think an
extra hit might not be outrageous. But it should
cost. The problem is it doesn't really matter if
you're a fakir who can ignore pain, if I turn a
plasma gun on you and melt half your rib cage,
your pain resistance ain't helping. If I hit you
with a grenade, the salsa leftover may be more
pain resistant, but that isn't much of a
consolation. So its a judgement call. It might
help for balance not to make these units
unkillable unless their cost is prohibitively high.

Tomb.

Prev: Re: [DS] Genetically Enhanced Infantry Next: Re: [DS] Genetically Enhanced Infantry