Prev: Re: [FT]Alternate Universes Pt II Next: RE: Combat Effectivness

Re: The GZG Digest V2 #652

From: adrian.johnson@s...
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 02:41:01 -0400
Subject: Re: The GZG Digest V2 #652

Hi Tom,

I feel your pain.

I did an order to Jon a couple of weeks ago for around the same amount
of
money. Total order value was about $110 Cdn or so.  The order arrived in
week (Kudos, Jon!  Nice quick service, again, though it doesn't beat
your 5
day arrival time for one order that included shipping over a weekend),
but
the customs people hit me with a $20-ish set of fees.  I had to pay
provincial sales tax, federal sales tax, and a $5 "handling fee" for the
privilege of paying these taxes.  That's what gets me...  I don't mind
(well, not *too* much) paying a tax if it's fair.  I certainly mind
being
charged a fee for the honour of paying the tax....

Heh.  I'd probably still be annoyed if they re-titled it a "customs
surcharge" or something, but actually *telling* me it is a "handling
fee"
while I'm paying taxes is just insulting.  Ah well.

On another note, I just bought some FT books from B.R.Snasis Games
(http://www.brsnasis.com/) and I would highly recommend their mailorder
service in North America.  I'm sure they'd do just fine overseas too,
but
I'm not there so I can't comment on it.  But shipping from the US up
here
to Canada, he got me the shipment in a week, it came packaged well, and
his
prices are at %20 under the manufacturers suggested retail price.  Check
them out.

Oh, by the way, in case anyone was looking, someone on-list mentioned
that
BRSnasis's website was advertising "More Thrust" recently.  The site
was,
but when I ordered, they didn't have any more.	It's now off the site.

And on the topic of ordering, KR at GeoHex is having a "Giant End of
Summer" sale, on Stargrunt stuff and some terrain items.

http://www.geohex.com

>Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 19:09:53 -0400
>From: "Tomb" <kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca>
>Subject: [OT] The vagarities of international shipping to Canada
>
>Jon ships me one order (for me and some other folks) worth $500 Cdn. I
>get charged no duties, tarrifs or taxes. A second package arrives (a
>fill in order for $100 or so), and the government decides I need to
then
>pay $17 duty/tarrif/tax on that one.
>
>Sometimes they nail me at the border, other times they don't bother.

Adrian Johnson

Prev: Re: [FT]Alternate Universes Pt II Next: RE: Combat Effectivness