Prev: Re: Campaigns Next: Re: Campaigns

RE: Campaign

From: Jakim Friant <jmodule@y...>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 05:57:53 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: Campaign

[SNIP]
6
> each, but an income of only 3 each.

I would hate to use a system like that... It reminds
me too much of old computer games (ASCII style
usually) where such an economic system was used.  It
may sound simple at first, but I would always end up
with a brain-strain trying to remember what planet
produced how many MCr and where I should put them...
To me there was more complexity created by trying to
reduce the number of variables.

> While abstracting MCr is easier, I still prefer
> moving resource markers. It encourages the building
> of freighters to move the resources. It also
presents
> the options of Piracy and Commerce Raiding.

I'd much rather use resource markers too.  Especially
if you make it simple where a planet only produces 1-3
resource units per turn.  So if you take a simplified
version of Laserlights idea:

Earth-type worlds have Population (represents labor)
Mining worlds can produce Minerals (to build with)
Gas-Giants produce Volatiles (used as fuel)

So if you kept it simple 1V+1M+1P=xMCr (where x is
enough MCr to produce a destroyer or such), then your
combinations are simpler.  You have to move 1V and 1M
to an Earth-type planet with at least 1P so you can
build a ship.  You wouldn't want to move your P to
Mining or Gas-Giants without first building an orbital
ship yard first.

When building bigger ships the ratio of xV+xM+xP could
be kept constant for simplicity so a Battle Cruiser
would be maybe 3V+3M+3P to build.

Prev: Re: Campaigns Next: Re: Campaigns