Prev: Re: [FT] Taskforce and Fleet Actions Next: Re: [FT] Taskforce and Fleet Actions

Re: [FT] Taskforce and Fleet Actions

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 16:06:54 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] Taskforce and Fleet Actions

At 3:44 PM -0400 8/14/01, Chris DeBoe wrote:

>Kind of like saying "With aerial tanking, an Eagle can fly at Mach 1.2
>non-stop all the way from California to Kuwait."  Well, yes, but it
wouldn't

Its probably more like a CVN trucking from Norfolk to the Med at 32+
knots. There isn't a need for Unreps (unless FT ships have a fuel
tank we don't really show..), they don't zigzag and excepting for the
working up cruise they normally go through prior to a deployment for
training, they're ready to get on the ball.

Naturally in FT, there isn't a possibility for groups of ships to
stay together so she's on her own for the most part between jumps.
But then the open vastness of space where these jumps occur make
being found hard.

>be a good idea to go straight into combat when you arrive.  My
impression is
>that you don't make 6 hour jump cycles unless it's critical ("there's
a SDN
>division coming towards us--6.5 hours to intercept") or possibly if you
only
>need a couple of cycles to get there and you believe you'll have
recovery
>time on the other end before you go into action.

Granted. However when war occurs, you do have operational tempo that
isn't always as paced as you like it to be. Transfers of units into
theatre occur with ships far faster than ground combat units tend to
be. Look at the Solomon islands campaign during WWII. DDs and CAs
were getting rotated in and out at a bloody absurd rate and no one
had time to get aclimated before getting thrown into action. All they
could rely on was training and doctrine.

Naturally there is a balance between arriving too late and arriving
strung out, worn out and tired out like the Baltic Sea fleet did at
Tsushima...

I was looking at absolute shortest time. A military packet ship on a
shortest time to point for major flag signals would take this route
likely.

- Ryan Montieth Gill		 ----------	      SW1025 H -
-   Internet Technologies  --  Data Center Manager (3N &10S)   -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 rmgill@mindspring.com -
-		   www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       -
- C&R-FFL -	 \ Toronto, Gun down some squeegee kids, - NRA -
- www.rawa.org	  \  Then you can host the Olympics too!       -

Prev: Re: [FT] Taskforce and Fleet Actions Next: Re: [FT] Taskforce and Fleet Actions