Prev: RE: [FT] Taskforce and Fleet Actions Next: RE: Eureka 300 Club 15mm Figures

RE: [FT] Taskforce and Fleet Actions

From: Brian A Quirt <baqrt@m...>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 14:09:45 -0300 (ADT)
Subject: RE: [FT] Taskforce and Fleet Actions

On Aug 14, Ryan M Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com> wrote:

> I looked at the jump distance, total distance and regeneration time
> for military craft (~6 hrs) to get about a months travel time from
> one side of the NAC to the other using Winchell Chung's  Mostly
>-Canon Map .

     I had thought that 6 hours between jumps was only done in
emergencies, and that most ships jumped only once per day whenever
possible. Still, in that case all that is needed is to multiply your
travel times by four....
     I haven't looked at the rules lately, so I'm not sure which is
correct.

> A repost of what I figured. Feel free to check my math.

     I've found one minor problem, which I'll discuss when it comes
up.

> Figure a bit over a Parsec (1 Parsec is = 3.3 Light Years)
> is about the standard for civil shipping 4 LY in other
> words. Military grade FTL drives are a bit better, put them
> at 5 LY. Anything further is too risky and isn't really done
> unless you have a fast courier. Also included is recharge
> time between one FTL hop and another. ~6 hours is what the
> book says (I was recalling an hour, sorry...).

     I check you on 1 parsec = 3.3 lightyears. Further....

> Some of these planets are right at or under a parsec. So a
> quick jump from one to the other is easy. A long trip from
> one side of the NAC Mu Arae (9:-3:-2) to GJ 1289 (-2:7:-3)
> is about 11.7 parsecs or 396 Light years. If we can do that
> in 4 LY hops we are talking about 99 hops and probably about
> 594 hours given no drive failures or other problems. That
> comes out to 25 days worth of travel.

     The distance from Mu Arae to GJ 1289 is:
     SQRT( 11^2 + 10^2 + 1^2 ) parsecs = 14.9 parsecs
     14.9 parsecs = 49.2 lightyears. That's quite a bit off.
     Even 11.7 parsecs = 38.6 lightyears.

     It looks like you're off by a factor of 10 in distance. Thus, in
4LY hops, it looks like 13 by my calculations and 10 by yours. At 1
jump every day, that comes out ot 13 or 10 days respectively. For
military ships (5LY), it looks like 10 or 8 jumps, taking 10 (2.5
rushed) or 8 (2 rushed) days.

> So with 3.5 parsecs being 11.55 LY, and assuming that a 5 LY hop
> for a military Grade FTL drive, you're looking at 2 jumps at 5 ly
> apiece and then a .5 ly hop for the closer jump. Presumably there
> is an extra jump or two there for refining your position to the
> system hyperlimit so 5 jumps total. 6 hrs each minimum, its a 30
> hour trip doing the hyper space thing. Some depends on your FTL
> navigator's ability to precisely refine his coordinates and get the
> insertions right. Likely it would take less with an ace navigator.

     I check you here.

Prev: RE: [FT] Taskforce and Fleet Actions Next: RE: Eureka 300 Club 15mm Figures