Prev: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions Next: RE: [FT] Taskforce and Fleet Actions

RE: [FT] Taskforce and Fleet Actions

From: "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@d...>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 10:03:47 +1000
Subject: RE: [FT] Taskforce and Fleet Actions

On Tuesday, August 14, 2001 9:53 AM, Brian Burger
[SMTP:yh728@victoria.tc.ca] wrote:
> > 1 MU = 1000 km  and
> > 1 Turn = 15 minutes
> > Maybe not THE standard, but does allow a convenient 1g = Thrust 8 ;)
>
> The only problem with this scale is that it would be impossible for
any FT
> ship to actually take off from nearly any planetary surface at all, if
> Thrust 8=1g. You'd need something impossible like Thrust 20 to take
off
> from a 1g world...
>
> Granted, most FT ships aren't even capable of atmospheric reentry,
never
> mind landing, but some are, especially the smaller ones - DD & down.

I usually look at it as 2 thrust = 1g.	This gives about the right
"feel"
with some of the published tuffleyverse background, as the inertial
compensators/artificial gravity can't cope with heavy thrust (hence why
most
non-essential crew strap in).  This also gives the right feel to several
other universes (Battletech etc).
A thrust 4 ship therefore pulls about 2g of non-constant acceleration
during
combat.  Given unlimited feul, I presume that any acceleration of more
than
1g will get you offplanet *eventually*, if inefficiently.

'Neath Southern Skies - http://home.pacific.net.au/~southernskies/
[sstrike] Raider Fleet of War Leader Kel'em'all

Prev: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions Next: RE: [FT] Taskforce and Fleet Actions