Prev: RE: ADFC, Vector, SMs and Fighters... Next: Re: Beliefs was Re: hot ships, cold space - but is the beer cold?

RE: [SGish] APC question

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 23:12:23 -0400
Subject: RE: [SGish] APC question

At 12:46 PM +1000 8/12/01, Fulton, Beth (CMR, Hobart) wrote:
>G'day,
>
>First up, sorry Ryan I've probably sent you half a dozen duplicates
this
>morning as I'm having to use Outlook of the net (not a pleasant
experience)
>and to reply to the list I have to reply to all and remember to cut out
the
>individual who originally sent it... and my memory ain't that good.

ick...make sure you disinfect your hands... :-P

> >I'd suspect it's just like that "retreat" call.
>
>Having absolutely no military experience, I take it when a "retreat"
goes up
>everybody just listens ( as if someone says it that mean it) or does
some
>one try and impose order on the situation (e.g. Sarge) if its not what
they
>want to see happening?

Depends on the situation, leadership and quality of the troops. Look
at it this way, The troops are green, they start taking some heavy
fire and all begin to panic. Likely given a chance some will just
run, others will cower. You'll get situations where some yahoo
decides its time to fall back and yells "retreat". If the troops are
poor quality, they may just do that regardless of what the
officers/NCOs are able to do/say.

Extend that to a tank or APC. A tank will work a bit different given
that I hope that crew has worked together more than infantry riding
in an APC will have.

Take a hypothetical, the APC takes an RPG in the side. Someone gets
hit by the spall off the inside armour. So you get some screaming,
some yelling, some smoke and lots of confusion right after a big
*BOOM!* The grunts riding along will likely bail before the crew
does. I'd suspect in game terms that'd almost be two leadership rolls
if the grunts are not organic to the APC.

If you really want to get into it rolling for individual crewmen may
do it right, but that may be too granular. I'd suggest a good old
confidence check. They fail, they bail. Split grunts that don't
report to the TC off as a different set of checks.

--
- Ryan Montieth Gill		DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com  I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -

Prev: RE: ADFC, Vector, SMs and Fighters... Next: Re: Beliefs was Re: hot ships, cold space - but is the beer cold?