Prev: Re: ADFC, Vector, SMs and Fighters... Next: Re: hot ships, cold space - but is the beer cold?

[FT] NI Stealth Primer (was: Hot ships in cold space)

From: Noam Izenberg <noam.izenberg@j...>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 21:07:27 -0400
Subject: [FT] NI Stealth Primer (was: Hot ships in cold space)

 >>>And as for Noam's comment about your paint in space
 >>>not mattering... I find that ironic coming from Mr.
 >>>New-Israel-Stealth-Boy. Something tells
 >>>me your paint job DOES matter eh Noam?
 >>>Tomb Raider

It ain't the paint (at least not the color of the paint).

 >>Noams stealth does not effect sensors, it directly
 >>effects weapons by reducing the maximum effective
 >>range of all the weapons systems by the same
 >>percentage.	 Result; paint don't matter.

 >>Noam should explain the PSB for those not
 >>familiar with the concept.

It ain't action at a distance. John and I have some disagreements about
the PSB workings. I differentiate between sensor lock/target lock and
accuracy of fire. My stealth PSB is that the hull/system whatever makes
the target error ellipse significantly larger, reducing _effective_
range of weapons.

The way I've PSB'd the Stealth Hull, its special materials and
construction of the outer hull of the ship.

 >How do you not affect sensors and do affect fire control solutions.
 >Technically aren't fire control solutions first a sensor issue? Be it
 >with radar, visible/thermal and or some other sort of emf...

Assume that the sensor silhouette of a target becomes much larger and
more diffuse. You can still fire at it, but the chance of hitting
effectively are reduced. An extreme example would be making a Bomber
look like a Zeppelin. You can fire at the bomber just fine, but you're
chances of hitting it are not so good.

 >Well, which is it young fellar? Ifn we can't see you, we can't
 >rightly shoot you 'cause you're not visible. But then if we can see
 >you but can't shoot you, you'd be shootable...

I didn't put firing restrictions _on_ stealth ships for balance reasons.

working the PSB is a matter of taste.

Prev: Re: ADFC, Vector, SMs and Fighters... Next: Re: hot ships, cold space - but is the beer cold?