Prev: RE: [SG?] Cammo Next: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions

Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions

From: Donald Hosford <Hosford.Donald@a...>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 16:01:05 -0400
Subject: Re: FT Taskforce and Fleet Actions

Ryan M Gill wrote:

> At 5:32 AM -0400 8/9/01, Donald Hosford wrote:
> >I thought about this alot...and I came up with these two possible
answers:

> >A) Use two maps for the system.  They would divid the system into
Inner and
> >Outer zones.  One hex on the outer zone map would equal the entire
(or most
> >of) inner zone map.	movement/turns on the outer zone map would be
scaled to
> >several turns on the innerzone map.	(I think...)
>
> I thought about that as well, the separate map concept seemed
> cumbersome to me. I got worried about the flow from one to the other
> being difficult.

I agree with you here.	 Having two maps does make possible "move"
errors.

> When I looked closely at doing the hexes as .5 AU size, it seemed to
> work out. Mercury was right up against the Sun's Hex and all the
> others either fell on a hex ring (there abouts) or on the edge. Yes,
> I've actually drawn this out....

Sounds interesting...how big was the resulting map?  Maybe I could make
a wall
map for grease pencils...

> >B) use a stylized map.  Give each body, ect in the system it's own
orbit
> >ring.  Sun in the center, 1st planet in the first ring, second planet
in the
> >second ring, ect.  The problem with this idea is how to scale it.
Each
> >orbit is not to proper size in relation to the other orbits.  But it
does
> >make the map smaller.  (I think it's only good point.)
>
> The anal retentive person in me just doesn't like that. If I can do
> something and make it look damnably real, then I will.

One thing I don't like about my second idea, is the complexity involved
in moving
from one planetary ring to another.

> (ie, I've been making infantry fighting positions for SG, they are
> built just like they really are, two fighting positions with overhead
> cover, slots for firing on the oblique and side and rear cover. I've
> just finished flocking them, next is brush, camoflage netting/tarps
> and rocks.)
> --

Got any pics of em?