Prev: RE: [FT] Big GenCon thank you Next: Re: [DS] Detatched HQ elements

Re: [DS] Detatched HQ elements

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 20:30:41 -0400
Subject: Re: [DS] Detatched HQ elements

At 6:28 PM -0700 8/9/01, Don M wrote:

>>  Here in 1st Cav Division the FISTers always stay with their vehicle
>(FISTV)

Yep, that's because they can stay in their own vehicle. In leg
infantry units (airborne, light, and Air Assault) The FSO and FIST
have to go somewhere else. Sometimes they have a hummer.

How the FIST is handled/organized/deployed depends on the needs of
the situation and the commander of the unit being supported. In an
Armoured Cav unit, the FSO (and assistant) can't ride with the Coy
Commander (unless he's with the TOC, where the XO usually is...),
since he's usually in an M1. In mech infantry units they have that
option. If the FSO is with the Coy cmdr, he can better advise the Coy
commander, however he can't coordinate all of the activities at the
FISTV. However, the FISTV is better able to be used in its laser
designation role. (sometimes they don't have a FISTV, but rather a
regular M113.)

>  >or dismount from it forward. The reason for this is the hammerhead
Laser
>>designator is used for artillery spotting at longer ranges then the
>equipment

Granted. I wasn't saying that they leave the FIST track behind. I was
saying the above. FSO goes in the Coy Cmdr's track if he can, so as
to better coordinate and advise.   (See FM 6-30, chap 2)

>  >on the M-1, although the M-1A2 will have almost the same lazing
capability.
>>  Where the FISTers come in is their training in all the different
forms of
>Fire
>  >support like Air to Ground and Gun/Rocket coordinated missions for
example.

Oh granted. The FIST team does have the better capabilities, but in
some situations the FIST (if say they are HMMWV mounted) is better
off acting as a coordination post and relying on the two man FO teams
(which the tank units don't get) with their DMDs and G/VLLD.

***
FIST Fire Support Vehicle
FISTV FIST-Vehicle, a special M113 with a laser target designator on
top, looks like an ITV (Improved Tow Vehicle).
G/VLLD Ground/Vehicular Laser Locator Designator
FSO Fire Support Officer (a LT)
DMD Digital Message Device (digital radio device for communicating
fire missions)

- Ryan Montieth Gill		 ----------	      SW1025 H -
-   Internet Technologies  --  Data Center Manager (3N &10S)   -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 rmgill@mindspring.com -
-		   www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       -
- C&R-FFL -	Toronto, Gun down some squeegee kids,	 - NRA -
-		 Then you can host the Olympics too!	       -

Prev: RE: [FT] Big GenCon thank you Next: Re: [DS] Detatched HQ elements